Thursday, February 4, 2010

The eye doctor and the gospel


I was at the eye doctor today getting an eye exam. The doc was explaining to me how the eye works so I asked him if he knew how many nerve endings the eye has. He told me the eye has millions of nerve ending. I asked, "since the eye has millions of nerve endings then it must be pretty complex?" He said it was very complex and that no computer can come close to doing what the eye can do. So I asked him, "If the eye is so complex then it must be designed and have a designer, right?" I looked at me and smiled and said, "yes, it was designed." I knew what I was getting at. I asked if he was a Christian and he hesitantly said yes and went on to say that he follows the bible subjectively. He just picks the parts out of the Bible that he likes and follows them and ignores the rest.

I knew he wasn't saved to I asked him what it took to get to heaven. He gave the typical answer of be good, have faith, have morals. I said, "Oh, like a Muslim?" He got defensive and said that wasn't what he meant. He proclaimed his goodness, even a perfect thought life, that is until I took him through the Law of God, then he was humbled. He admitted to breaking all of God's laws. I explained the good news now that he saw the need for a Savior. I explained to him of the atoning sacrifice Jesus made on the cross. I asked if he ever heard this before and he said, "I never really had anyone explain it like that before." I asked if it made sense and he said that it made good sense. I told him to repent and put his faith in Jesus to save him.

It was a good conversation and a good way to start a conversation with your eye doctor the next time you are getting an exam.

Que Dios Te Bendiga

1 comment:

AL said...

Awesome post! I've heard that so many times - "It's never made sense like that before!" The Law has to go before the Grace.
Keep up the good work!